Edging the pond

In a sense digging and lining the pond was the easy part, we did not give much though to the problem of edging. There has been a lot of discussion and sketches in our household this week about how to finish it off. Husband took a spade to one edge but was rather dissatisfied with the result. Finally however, with the help of our master textbook on gardening (thank you RHS):

I think we’ve decided on a solution we’re happy with.

It does mean some more digging and another visit to the garden centre for some gravel and pebbles, but hey, this is also an opportunity to buy more plants!

In the photo below you can see the shallow trench the liner is in, with the turtles sloping down to it. The intention is to fill it with larger stones, pebbles and gravel to give a kind of beach effect. We hope to fill this with edging bog plants ultimately too.


The nice thing about spending some time around the pond is the opportunity to it offers to check what wildlife is already inhabiting our wildlife pool. So far I’ve seen a few pond skaters but today I also saw a black diving beetle (probably this one, though I’m far from an expert!) swimming around very happily, which is reassuring. There were a few more pond skaters, which seemed to arrive pretty much with the water and the pond liner itself also had a smooth slimy feel so I expect the algae are starting to colonies as well. No sign of our water lilies yet at the surface though…

Digging…

So, a new pond…

After a childhood spent staring in ditches at insects and fish my husband decided that he wants a new pond. I am happy to agree since it’s the single best thing you can do for wildlife in your garden. Having just bought a house with a decent-sized garden we have the space and after some discussion and web searching I came back from a work trip away to find a hole in the lawn…


Clearly the kids were pretty excited at the prospect too, so a further morning of work and we have a gaping hole, with multiple levels and a maximum depth of 75 cm (just deep enough for us to grow water lilies – my passion).

The turves removed from the lawn have all been stacked by the compost heaps, according to Bob Flowerdew, our guru of gardening, they make a fine potting compost when allowed to break down for 6 months or so. This is a step beyond my normal chuck it in and see what happens approach to composting, so let’s see if it works


Anyway, hole dug, it was time to add the liner. Possibly we’ll regret it later but being a bit lazy, and discovering our ground is mostly clay anyway apparently, we just put in a pvc liner with no sand or geotextile under it. It took a little bit of discussion and finessing but eventually we got it where we wanted.

And now for the water…

We are fortunate enough to have a rainwater reservoir installed, so all the rainfall from the roof was stored, perfect for our pond purposes as it should be clean but low in nutrients. On went the pump and a couple of hours later, there is our pond:
2015-08-23 17.02.12

2015-08-23 17.05.45

At this point I feel I should admit that we have “introduced” some wildlife, two pond skaters and a few bits of duck weed were safely captured and carried home in a plastic jar to our pond from the nearby Søndermarken park. We’ve also planted a few water lilies on the bottom.
Now, let’s see what else can come visiting….